Sunday, December 28, 2014

Kennesaw Rejects Muslims


Georgia Town Bans Muslims from Doing the One Thing They Want to Do Most
City Council of Kennesaw, Georgia has voted against allowing an Islamic religious group to rent space to open a local mosque. The vote was held as protestors outside City Hall waved signs saying “Ban Islam.” Although one council member voted to approve the application, four other members voted against the request. There was no debate about the vote.
Kennesaw’s Muslims had already agreed to a variety of limitations requested by the Kennesaw city attorney. They had accepted a limit of eighty worshipers at a time, forty parking spaces, and only a two-year lease.
Mayor Mark Matthews told The Marietta Daily Journal the council had never approved a permit for any type of religious facility in a retail center, as far as he could remember. However, records show the council allowed a Pentecostal church to use a retail space in a July vote. That vote was actually the third time the church had received council approval. The Islamic Center was employing the same process in their quest to establish a mosque.
When he was questioned, the mayor said, “The issue at hand has to do with the hours and days of the week that (the mosque) will be open, from my perspective.”
City Council Member Cris Eaton-Welsh, the lone vote in favor of the request, said, “They have the right to be there, and we’ve already set precedent.”
Matthews disagreed, “Each application is considered on its own merits and precedence does not come into consideration in my opinion.”
The Muslim group is apparently planning to sue the City of Kennessaw in federal court. Doug Dillard, the attorney for the group, says similar suits have been successful.
Pastor C.S. Clarke of the Redeemed Christian Fellowship Church described the complexity of the issue, and the city’s response.
I really believe that the country was founded on freedom of religion, so that’s always my first perspective. Can we practice religions openly? I think that’s what the laws really protect. As far as that particular faith, I do know that there’s some challenges, and I think that’s what’s maybe influencing a lot of our decisions in this modern day.
You know, if Christianity were killing people, I’m pretty sure I would have a problem with it. Then I would be concerned with that moving into my neighborhood. But, I’m open, I’m inclusive. Christianity does teach love, inclusiveness, creating a better environment for everyone.
http://liberty247.net/georgia-town-makes-clear-its-rejection-of-islamic-agenda/

No comments: