Friday, August 24, 2018

Nutrition


We are responsible for our own preventive medicine and that includes nutrition. This is a trial and error deal and doesn’t work with one-size-fits-all. Your nutrition plan is unique to you.

If you take vitamin supplements, you will notice the list of what vitamins and minerals are included in these pills and what percent of “daily requirements” is attached to each. You should take particular note of those vitamins and minerals where the percentage is low. These are called supplements, because they know that you get these vitamins and minerals from food and they are assuming that you are eating the foods with these vitamins and minerals. I use a daily multivitamin plus a magnesium supplement to lessen my reliance on food to maintain a healthy weight. With a multi-vitamin and supplements, I’m just not hungry.

There are a lot of variables at play and a lot of factors that are not addressed. The biggest variable is that no two human beings are alike and we are free to eat anything we want.  Others have tried my magnesium supplement, but it doesn’t work for them.

One way to get a handle on this is to look up what vitamins and minerals are available in specific foods. You will find that most foods you eat are loaded with vitamins and minerals.


I like granola or oatmeal, a banana for one meal and 2 eggs and a sausage biscuit for lunch. I eat a small dinner with meat or fish, potatoes and a vegetable, usually broccoli, asparagus, Brussel sprouts, or string beans. I also substitute soups and salads. We eat a lot of baked chicken and salmon, but vary this with steak and shrimp.

Portions for each of 3 meals should not be larger than your fist. I drink coffee, orange juice and water.  My weight is under control, so I can eat other things as well.

Norb Leahy, Dunwoody GA Tea Party Leader

No comments: