Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Common Core Crumbling

Teachers Refuse the Test, Posted on January 27, 2015 Written by grumpyelder.com
Par­ents, in grow­ing num­bers, have been refus­ing the Com­mon Core aligned test for their chil­dren. Over 50% (see cor­rec­tion) of the stu­dents in New York City refused the test last year. Yes­ter­day I wrote about Jia Lee who said she found it uncon­scionable to give the new Com­mon Core aligned tests to her stu­dents. Another teacher, Jen­nifer Rick­erts of New York laid out, in very clear terms, why she also would be refus­ing to admin­is­ter the new CC tests to her stu­dents.  She found her­self in a “deep moral con­flict” after read­ing the test guide and know­ing what it said it would be ask­ing her 11–12 year old stu­dents to do. “Today I am a bro­ken woman,” she said. Her full let­ter is in Valerie Strauss’s col­umn in the Wash­ing­ton Post. Below are excerpts.
I have the great­est job on earth. I’m a teacher.  This year, I began my 22nd year at the Ich­a­bod Crane Cen­tral School Dis­trict, where I have taught Grades 2, 5, and 6.  I love my stu­dents and I am very pas­sion­ate about teach­ing.  I also stay involved with edu­ca­tional shifts and new strate­gies.  I try to exem­plify this in the lead­er­ship roles I assume as Grade Level Chair, English/Language Arts Liai­son, and Mid­dle School Stu­dent Men­tor­ing Coor­di­na­tor.  I have always thought of myself as some­what “old-school” because I respect the chain of com­mand, respect my elders, and con­sider myself patri­otic.  I am a rule follower…
Over the last few years, I have seen many par­ents cry about their child’s New York State test scores, and I have seen stu­dents cry because they can’t com­plete the tests.  I began to ques­tion the valid­ity of the assess­ments as they became more and more daunt­ing for my stu­dents, but I believed that if I con­tin­ued to incor­po­rate the Com­mon Core Learn­ing Stan­dards and pro­vide the high­est qual­ity instruc­tion, my stu­dents would be eval­u­ated fairly.  Dur­ing this period, I kept the faith in our great state of New York and our edu­ca­tional lead­ers, hop­ing that there would be a fair res­o­lu­tion for the children…
I read the “New York State Test­ing Program’s Edu­ca­tor Guide to the 2015 Grade 6 Com­mon Core Eng­lish Lan­guage Arts Test,” and I sobbed.  I am so dis­turbed by the descrip­tions of the test in this guide that I find myself in deep moral con­flict regard­ing the admin­is­tra­tion of the 2015 Com­mon Core Eng­lish Lan­guage Arts Test to my students.
My stu­dents are 11– and 12-years-old.  They are at the cog­ni­tive level that Jean Piaget, revered cog­ni­tive the­o­rist, char­ac­ter­ized as “concrete-operational,” mean­ing they can think log­i­cally about con­crete events but have dif­fi­culty under­stand­ing abstract or hypo­thet­i­cal sit­u­a­tions.  Yet in the guide, it states that stu­dents will “eval­u­ate intri­cate arguments.”
In addi­tion, “stu­dents will need to make hard choices between fully cor­rect and plau­si­ble, but incor­rect answers that are designed specif­i­cally to deter­mine whether stu­dents have com­pre­hended the entire pas­sage.”  This is not devel­op­men­tally appro­pri­ate for my stu­dents, and I find it cruel and harm­ful to sug­gest that it is.  I do not believe in know­ingly set­ting my stu­dents up for fail­ure.  I can­not remain silent for one more day with­out speak­ing up for my students…
The guide also indi­cates that stu­dents will be read­ing dif­fi­culty lev­els, or Lex­iles, as high as 1185, which is the level eleventh-grade stu­dents are required to under­stand.  When chil­dren read, if the dif­fi­culty level sig­nif­i­cantly exceeds their instruc­tional level, the lack of flu­ency causes a dra­matic break­down in comprehension.
Clearly, this is a set-up for the kids to fail.  As stu­dents learn, they make sense out of new infor­ma­tion through schema.  Schemata are cog­ni­tive frame­works to which they can add to, or mod­ify, as they learn new infor­ma­tion.  One could com­pare the require­ment for chil­dren to under­stand these pas­sages to expect­ing them to mas­ter alge­bra before estab­lish­ing num­ber sense; there is no foun­da­tion to build knowl­edge upon.
If a stu­dent has no con­text, they are not likely to com­pre­hend the text at the deep level required to dis­tin­guish fully cor­rect answers from plau­si­ble, but incor­rect answers.  In addi­tion to these inap­pro­pri­ate, unfa­mil­iar con­cepts and time peri­ods, stu­dents will be expected to sift through authors’ use of “inten­tion­ally incor­rect gram­mar and/or spelling” and “pas­sages drawn from works com­monly taught in higher grades.”  Finally, in the guide it states that “Stu­dents will be required to nego­ti­ate plau­si­ble, text-based dis­trac­tors.  A dis­trac­tor is an incor­rect response that may appear plausible.”
In sum­mary, we are going to ask 11-year-olds to read and com­pre­hend pas­sages that are taken from higher grades, some at 5 years above their level, with con­tro­ver­sial and provoca­tive lan­guage, based on abstract lit­er­a­ture and his­tor­i­cal doc­u­ments that the stu­dents have not learned about yet, and choose an answer from sev­eral plau­si­ble choices?  We are going to have our stu­dents spend nine hours of seat time, allow­ing extra time for our Spe­cial Edu­ca­tion stu­dents, on these inap­pro­pri­ate tests? (Add another nine hours for math.)
And after all is said and done, we will reduce each child to a num­ber: 4, 3, 2, or 1, based on their per­for­mance, pro­vid­ing the teach­ers and par­ents with lit­tle to no infor­ma­tion about what they can and can­not do?  No.  No, I cannot.
With all due respect to my stu­dents, their par­ents, my admin­is­tra­tion, and Board of Edu­ca­tion, I must go on record as strongly object­ing to this test.  I respect­fully request reas­sign­ment on the dates of the 2015 Com­mon Core ELA Assessment. - Jen­nifer Rickert
A 1–4 will not pro­vide any­one with rich infor­ma­tion about a child’s abil­ity of knowl­edge. Even if teach­ers are pro­vided with more infor­ma­tion, arriv­ing at the end of the school year it is unlikely it would con­tain any­thing they did not already know about the stu­dent, and com­ing from a test they did not develop or even see it would have even less meaning.
Our state will spend $4.3 mil­lion on this test. Our state also plans to use SBAC devel­oped interim tests for the grades not receiv­ing the big sum­ma­tive test in the spring, start­ing next year.  These are six “shorter” tests given through­out the year, again nei­ther designed nor seen by teach­ers, most likely with the same flaws as the sum­ma­tive ones. But hey, how great for McGraw Hill who is design­ing the test items. They will have even more data flow­ing in to them from our stu­dent with which to con­tin­u­ally change their prod­uct. They will be using our kids in “non-tested” grades to help develop test valid­ity for their sum­ma­tive spring tests. And we get pay even more for this test­ing privilege.
At some point we need to step off the test­ing tread­mill. Are there any Jia Lees or Jen­nifer Rick­erts in Mis­souri will­ing to stand up and refuse?
You can watch Ms. Rick­erts deliver her testimony. youtube
please spec­ify cor­rect url
Cor­rec­tion: 50% 0f stu­dents in Jia Lee’s New York City school refused the test. 30,000+ over­all in New York City refused. For a table with more specifics see this link. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0AuLBonoXvLu9dFF1NmtyeWxGTmpRazYtcXoyVGFMeVE&usp=drive_web&pli=1
Related Posts

No comments: