Shameless Merkel DEFENDS open-door asylum policy despite deadly attacks by refugees
ANGELA Merkel has claimed she “did the right thing” by allowing hundreds of thousands of refugees enter Germany last year. By Fraser Moore, 7/30/16
This is despite three horrific attacks in the country having been committed by asylum seekers this month alone. The German chancellor declared this week she “stands by” the decision to take in thousands since last summer. She said: “I stand by the political decisions we’ve made. “As chancellor, I am responsible for, by far, most decisions. “I always have to weigh up if a decision meets our values — which does not mean that there are no risks.”
But the comments come despite a host of high-profile attacks in Germany this month – with the majority perpetrated by migrants.
A teenage asylum seeker injured 19 people when he went on a rampage with an axe on a train on July 18. A week later, a Syrian asylum seeker allegedly hacked a pregnant woman to death with a machete in the town of Reutlingen, near Stuttgart. And the same day, a failed Syrian asylum seeker blew himself up outside a music festival in Ansbach, injuring 15 people.
Mrs Merkel said taking in the vast number of migrants “would not be easy” but Germany would manage. She said: “I said back then, and I’ll say it again, Germany is a strong country. “I called it a task for the whole nation. But just as we’ve managed so much already, we’ll manage this.”
The 62-year-old added: “The basic principle that Germany stands by its humanitarian responsibility is the right thing.” “I believe that if we had refused to fulfil our humanitarian responsibility, there would have been just as many – or maybe very different — very bad consequences for us.”
Her comments come as German activists plan today to stage a “huge” protest against the chancellor’s open-door policy. Thousands are expected to gather in Berlin using the hashtag #MerkelMussWeg – meaning Merkel must go – where they will be addressed by right-wing politicians.