Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Race Relations

I met film star and jazz singer Ethel Waters on a train from St. Louis to Texas in 1945.  I was 2 years old, dressed in a sailor suit and I was not happy to be moving away from St. Louis.  I was walking up the aisle of the passenger car as it swayed, bumped into Ethel Waters sitting on the aisle and said:  “I’m a drunken sailor”.  She told my parents that I belonged on the stage.  Ethel’s prediction did come true. I started a Rock Band when I was 14 as a singer and guitar player, progressed to a Blues Band when I was 18 as a singer and bass player and joined a Jazz Trio as a singer and bass player when I was 21.  Like Ethel, I became a Jazz Singer.

Our Blues Band was working 6 nights a week at the Livingroom on Gaslight Square in St. Louis. Bonnie Bramlett was our singer.  In 1963, Chuck Berry joined us on stage and I remember thinking: “How did I get here? I’m a college Sophomore and I’m playing bass with Chuck Berry.”  I got to know him that Summer. He comes from a family of snooty PhD toting college professors. Chuck got his Masters in Math and announced to his family that he was going to play guitar.  His family relented saying “he was pretty good at playing the guitar”. Chuck is brilliant, funny and a blast to be around.  I was truly blessed to know him.

While working weekends as a Jazz musician from 1965 to 1975, I started my Personnel career and worked 50+ hours a week.  The band allowed me to relax, unwind and enjoy; it gave me some balance.  The music from this period was exceptional.  I was taken with everything done by Quincy Jones and he is still my favorite musician.  His chords are from heaven.

I’ve always been a believer in the bell shaped “normal curve”.  Those on the right-hand side are the best at what they do; those on the left are the least-best. This curve applies to all endeavors including music, academics, wisdom, occupational skills and personality. All people can increase their skills with practice. They should pursue what they enjoy.  I’ve always believed that at least 70% of all people can succeed at what they choose to do, if they make the right choices.

The smartest Software Engineer I’ve ever tested and interviewed was a kid from Kenya named Goki.  He was fortunate to be educated by Catholic Nuns who recognized his intelligence and encouraged him to move at his own pace.  He received a full scholarship to college in the US and graduated with a Masters in Computer Science. My interview panel of 4 Principal Software Engineers all said he was the smartest candidate they ever interviewed.

There is no case for anyone who believes that some races are smarter than others.  We all live on the normal curve, no matter our race or sex.  The girls were always the smartest ones in my Catholic grade school class. 

Those who are struggling to succeed need to know that the all of the most successful people on the planed love what they do.  To get on the right track for your unique skills and interests, you need to figure out what you love to do and get a job that requires it. 

Success also requires that you take charge of yourself and assess your strengths as they apply to earning a living. 


Norb Leahy, Dunwoody GA Tea Party Leader

No comments: