Saturday, May 30, 2015

Let the Patriot Act expire


Tomorrow I will force the expiration of the NSA's illegal spying program. I will not allow any bill extending illegal NSA spying to be rushed through ahead of the deadline.
 
My oath is to support and defend the Constitution and I won't back down. The abuse of general warrants and the attack on the Bill of Rights must stop once-and-for-all.
 
We don't have to choose between fighting terrorism and obeying the Constitution. That's why, two years ago, I sued the NSA. It's why I proposed the Fourth Amendment Protection Act to force our government to abide by the Bill of Rights. It's why I have fought for a full, open and honest debate on warrantless domestic spying -- a debate that is always kicked down the road in the name of "security."
 
So last week, with the proponents of this illegal spying rushing toward a deadline to ram through renewing illegal spying, I took a stand. I filibustered for over 10 hours to shine a light on the vast expansion of the spy state and the erosion of our liberties. I stood on the Senate floor until the early hours of the morning and helped block any short-term extension of these powers.
 
Tomorrow, the Senate will come back from recess with just hours left before the NSA's illegal spying powers expire. And I won't allow defenders of the spy state to legislate through a manufactured crisis by holding a deadline over the head of Congress.
 
Let me be clear: I believe the number one job of the federal government is national defense. I believe we must fight terrorism and I believe we must stand strong against our enemies. But we do not need to compromise the Constitution in the process. In fact, we must not.
 
I am ready and willing to start the debate on how we fight terrorism without giving up our liberty. This can't be delayed any longer. I do not do this to obstruct.
 
I'm fighting for a strong national defense that upholds the Constitution and protects Americans from enemies who seek to do us harm.
 
*So I hope I can count on you to sign your petition and stand with me as I force illegal NSA spying to expire and stand strong against any deals or threats
 
<http://paracom.paramountcommunication.com/ct/28101194:27003794280:m:1:444779297:716CBE8BE175AF538B9E6820FD44A4DC:r>*
.
In Liberty, Rand Paul
 
Comments
 
The guy believes in the Constitution and he's got the courage to stand up for it. - David
 
The greatest threat to our freedom is our own federal government – Norb Leahy

No comments: