Thursday, February 19, 2015

House Buying & Fixing Tips

Get ready to do some homework.  Go to the city or county website to see the list of permits, fees and fines homeowners are expected to pay. 
Get a copy of the Plat for your lot and look for “easements”.  That will tell you how much of the lot you’re about to buy is at risk for “seizure”.
If the driveways in your area are broken up or have been replaced, question whether or not the driveways were compacted and prepared properly with crushed rock and rebar.  Make sure ground water is routed around your driveway area.  Consider concrete pavers if you want to avoid replacing driveways. 
If the houses in your area have experienced water problems, question whether or not the ground has been properly graded to avoid ground water intrusion.
If the houses in your area have experienced “settling” question what preventive measures have been taken to ensure a solid foundation.
Never buy a house with a crawl space.  They can attract mold and are a mess to deal with.  Daylight basements are a blessing.
Check the property taxes you will pay for the lot and the home.
Tree removal can be expensive. Check to see if there are any dead trees aiming at your roof before you buy.
House Fixing Tips
Check the age of the roof, furnace, water heater and built-in appliances.  If these are close to 20 years old, they may need to be replaced soon after you buy the house.  Make sure you have the money saved up to have these replaced.
The least expensive reliable ac/furnace units are made by Goodman. Don’t pay more than $2500.   Architectural roofs were very popular, but some have not held up.  A “35 year” roof may not really last that long.  Do some roof research.
If the house has Masonite siding, it will deteriorate after 30 years.  Consider replacing it with concrete fiberboard.
Check the attic insulation to see if you will need to add insulation. Check door insulation.  If you have a leaky door, have it fixed or get a heavy storm door to stop the leaking.
Window replacement is usually unnecessary.  You want your home to be tight, but not too tight.  Northern states usually have storm windows and wouldn’t need window replacements.
Replacement door knobs are good at Ace Hardware. They should be set for one key.  You may prefer to have an experienced handyman with good references to install these.
If you need carpentry or plumbing or HVAC or electrical work, check with you neighbors to find out who they recommend and why.
I recommend Kitchen Fronts of Georgia to reface you built-in cabinets and bookcases.  They replace the doors and install laminate on the surfaces.
I recommend having a Sub-Zero refrigerator built in when you reface your cabinets. It is well designed and will last forever.
I also recommend Overhead Doors in Atlanta for your garage door.
It takes a while to figure out how to maintain your lawn. Get a soil test from your agricultural extension office to see what your lawn is lacking.  If you have crabgrass, make sure you apply pre-emergent crabgrass preventer every February. It will keep crabgrass seeds from germinating.
I am a “do it yourselfer”. I prefer to cut my own grass, apply my own fertilizer, anti-fungus and pre-emergent, re-seed my own yard, paint my own house, plant my own trees and shrubs and do whatever I can before I call for help.  I prefer to do all my own de-construction prep work.  I also prefer to figure out what I want first and then find a craftsman to do that if I need one.  I hope this article was helpful.
Norb Leahy, Homeowner
 

No comments: