Friday, May 15, 2015

Alex Johnson for GA GOP Chairman

New!! Important endorsement for Alex Johnson for GA GOP Chairman by Bob Mayzes

My name is Bob Mayzes and I am retiring as State GAGOP Treasurer. 22 years ago, I attended my first Georgia Republican State Convention. Two years later, I was elected State Treasurer. In those 20 years, I have served with six Chairmen and 14 Executive Directors.

With John Padgett’s election two years ago, I believed the Party had elected a successful businessman, who had years of service to his county, district and state party. I was comfortable with the choice made by the 2013 State Convention. Two years later, I am hoping the 2015 State Convention makes a different decision and does not re-elect Mr. Padgett as State Chairman

Mr. Padgett’s campaign materials boast:

“TOGETHER WE ARE UNDEFEATED” - Georgia is an overwhelming red state. It was an off-year, election. A victory wave swept across the United States; Democrats were beat by Republicans at every level of government. Despite a national landslide, we failed to gain even one State House or State Senate seat.

“$6.5 MILLION RAISED” - 40% of that came from qualifying fees and transfers from the RNC, NRSC, NRCC and other Republican committees due to Georgia being a targeted state.

17 FIELD OFFICES OPENED – Funded by monies transferred from national Republican committees.

What Mr. Padgett doesn’t talk about:

The million dollars left for him by his predecessor Chairman Sue Everhart. Enough to fully fund the GAGOP well into the next election year when fund raising should have been much easier.

His outsourcing of Party functions that are typically done internally to favored consultants; example, $60,000 a year for web-site support and $48,000 annually for press releases and newsletters.

Substantial legal fees paid by GAGOP to address a legal matter unique to the Padgett administration. As the matter has not been resolved, I will make no further comment.

I believe John Padgett is a good man. That is NOT reason enough to return him and his administration to power.

Why am I just now coming out with this endorsement? I had hoped to just retire into the sunset. I really thought I was no longer interested in Republican politics, its leadership or what the Party did. I could just walk away…. As the convention approached, I came to realized it still matters to me. I can’t just walk away.

Why endorse Alex Johnson? I have had several long conversations with Alex. His beliefs are conservative and heart is for grassroots traditional American values including fairness, honesty and accountability. He is young, but Alex has the energy necessary to energize our base to be engaged Republicans. He is inexperienced, but Alex seems willing to listen and seek out counsel; something the current administration consistently avoided from the start and though out their term. Do your own research, get to know Alex Johnson. He is not who I thought; I found Alex had similar ideas and values to mine. I am willing to trust the GAGOP’s future to Alex Johnson.

In light of Obama’s use of the word “CHANGE”, I am reluctant to use it; but John Padgett’s administration needs to end at the 2015 Georgia Republican State Convention.

Sincerely,

Bob Mayzes

 

No comments: