Saturday, January 27, 2018

Strategic Studies

In 1984, Dennis Hayes enrolled me in Western Behavioral Science Institute for Strategic Studies (WBSI) for a 2 year Fellowship. I completed this in 1986.

Dennis was my boss and he founded Hayes Microcomputer Products, Inc.  The Hayes Modem at that time was the standard of the industry for PC modems. My job was to lead the Personnel function for the company and navigate our growth from 150 employees and $35 million in sales in 1983 to 1200 employees and $200 million in sales by 1986.


This Fellowship program was conducted on-line, using the internet that resided at New Jersey Institute of Technology. We accessed this from a home PC.  We also received a box of books every month. The on-line access allowed us to email each other. We also met in La Jolla California twice a year for 1 week with our spouses as a class.

There were 30 students in my class. They were technology company executives, military general officers, academics and high level government employees. Astronaut Rusty Schweickart was in my class and so was the Deputy Director of the CIA for the Middle East. I was one of the few non-liberals in my class.

We studied other countries and became familiar with their histories, customs and economic activities. This was a time when our companies were expanding overseas by establishing sales offices for exporting US products to these countries. This required that some of us become familiar with international issues.  At my prior companies I was often the one who met with visitors from other countries. This was true at Monsanto and Washington University in St. Louis. I also spent my entire senior year at St. Louis University taking graduate courses for undergraduate credit. I was in a hurry to graduate and get to work where I could learn real things. I was driven by my curiosity about everything and this Fellowship was an easy fit.

As I reflected on how Trump is encouraging all other countries to make their own countries first, I wanted to share the previous posts with you. These posts listed countries and data indicating their economic potential. That got me thinking about my WBSI experience and how it contributed to my world view.



Norb Leahy, Dunwoody GA Tea Party Leader

No comments: