Tuesday, February 14, 2017

What Products got Worse

Home Personal Computers
30 years ago, in 1986 home personal computers were being sold for $3000 to $5000 including printers.  There was no internet service available to home users. Modem speeds were extremely low at 300 bps and processing power was low. In 1993, PCs were a pleasure to operate.

By 1996, processor power and modem baud rates were climbing and internet service was established. New Microsoft Windows iterations were offered each year, but each iteration was worse than its predecessor. Windows got jammed with clutter and confusion. HP printers got worse and worse.

The internet capability was an improvement, but computer viruses and malware would destroy each computer every 3 years.  That’s when you had to buy a new one with a worse Windows iteration and a new printer, because the old one was “incompatible”.

Prices plummeted from $3000 to $1000 and manuals were now “on-line”, but home PC ownership became its own full-time job. Now you can replace your PC for under $1000 and replace your printer for $40.  But these are disposable items that last for 2 years if you’re lucky.

Yard Equipment
Outdoor Up-Lights used to last up to 10 years; now I can’t find any that work at all. Lawnmowers used to last 20 years, but ethanol destroys their little plastic carburetors. I got a Husqvarna lawn mower and I really like it. 

I spent more time trying to start my gasoline engine powered chain saws, so I got an electric chain saw and am very happy. I also got an electric edger and I like that. My electric blower experience is not good; these only last for 2 years. They are disposable.


Norb Leahy, Dunwoody GA Tea Party Leader

No comments: