Thursday, April 18, 2019

Growing Up


I often use my own experience as a case study to illustrate useful principles I’ve learned. The lesson in this case study is about the value of learning to work at an early age. These case studies also give readers some insight to how my “worldview” developed. We are all different, but the principles needed to thrive are the same for all of us.

My parents came from large, smart, wealthy Catholic families in St Louis. The Leahy family had 9 children and the Couch family had 12 children. I had lots of aunts and uncles.

My parents married in 1935 and lived in St. Louis until 1945. My brother was born in 1937 and I was born in 1943. My Dad owned 13 gas stations and served as Night Superintendent for the Small Arms Plant from 1941 to 1945.

I was Homeschooled from 1943 to 1950 in St. Louis Mo, Hallettsville TX, Providence RI and Memphis TN. We visited family in St. Louis every year.

My Dad entered Texas A&M in 1945 to get a Masters in Cotton Research Technology and went to work for Vokart Brothers in 1946 to establish laboratories in Rhode Island and Tennessee. He was promoted to VP R&D in New York in 1950.

In 1950, I entered Catholic School in 3rd grade at Holy Child Parish School in Queens NY and made First Communion. My Dad was promoted to Managing Director of Vokart Brothers in 1951 and moved to Brussels Belgium. My Mom chose to move my Brother and I back to St. Louis. She worked as an Accountant.  I got a bike and a key to the house and was on my own.

From 1951 to 1957, I attended Immaculate Conception Parish School in Maplewood Mo. I attended Daily Mass, served as an Alter Boy for the 6am Mass, was in the Choir, was a Patrol Boy, Boy Scout Bugler, Trumpet Player and 1st Chair Trumpet in the Boyscout Band. I learned to play piano at age 4. I learned to sing and play the guitar in 1954 and formed a Rock Band in 1957 at age 14.

From 1957 to 1961, I attended Christian Brothers College Military HS on a Trumpet Scholarship. In 1960, I was the Band Major and in 1961 was the Band Commander. I was Freshman Class President and recruited to join the Speech Team, Starred in School Plays and Musicals, was Yearbook Editor and Activities President leading the cheerleaders and poster club to support Sports. I worked in my Rock Band 3 nights a week and worked summers on the Admiral Cruise Boat.

From 1961 to 1965, I attended St. Louis University, took 20 hours per semester and played Bass Guitar at the “Livingroom” on Gaslight Square 6 nights a week. I worked summers at Granite City Steel as a Steelworker and at St. Louis State School and Hospital as a Therapist.

CBC and St. Louis U were the “family schools” My Dad and all of my Uncles in the Leahy and Couch families attended these schools.

I had musical and talent and used it to pay all my school and personal expenses from 1957 to 1965. The US economy was good and St. Louis was a Live Music Town. I continued playing Bass Guitar and singing in Jazz Trios on weekends until 1975. I enjoyed my 18 year career as a Musician and it provided a good break from my school and corporate activities.

After I grew up, I instinctively pursued work that I was good at and loved to do. I still think work is fun.

I was blessed to have the help and freedom I received from my family, teachers and friends. I am greatful to God for this experience.

Norb Leahy, Dunwoody GA Tea Party Leader

No comments: