Saturday, June 16, 2018

Atlanta Gridlock


Atlanta Metro car traffic gridlock encourages residents to just stay at home. All household needs are usually limited to groceries, household needs and gasoline and we have local stores near home like barber shops, pharmacies, hardware stores, auto service, restaurants and fast food venues. We do use our cars to drive out of our neighborhoods for kid’s sports and to commute to work,

Gridlock could be reduced if we returned to K-8 neighborhood grade schools where kids could walk or bike to school. Now the neighborhood grade school only goes to grade 5 and we end up driving the kids to school or having them take a bus to middle school for grades 6 – 8. Then they go to high school for grades 9-12.

The absence of an adequate highway grid across Atlanta creates the gridlock.

The best highway grid is in St. Louis Mo. This grid includes I-70, I-64, I-55 and I-44 going east and west and I-170 and I-270 going north and south. St Louis Metro has a population of 2.8 million. This highway grid was planned in the 1960s and built in the 1970s and 1980s.

The Atlanta bi-pass I-285 was built in 1963, when the population of Atlanta Metro was 1.6 million. It is now 5 million and I-285 can no longer handle local and interstate traffic.

Norb Leahy, Dunwoody GA Tea Party Leader


No comments: