Wednesday, October 2, 2024

Family History 10-2-24

The US “melting pot” offers a rich history of families assimilating after their first generation landed in the US.  European immigrants had their own cultures, but were exposed to the cultures of other European Countries and the similarities allowed marriages between groups. Religion was also a factor and eventually Christian denominations evolved to recognize similarities. Diseases eventually decreased and Life expectancy increased. 

Generations of Families offer first and second-hand observations of recent history. Reactions to events witnessed by family members were passed down to younger generations. My great grandma told me her account of the civil war.  Families were torn apart with some supporting the Union and others supporting the Confederacy. 

My grandpa’s reaction to diseases and poor medical treatments outcomes motivated him to become an Medical Doctor to improve Medical Science, My aunts and uncles told me about the Great Depression and World War II. Hearing my families observations gave me a context to build on. My reaction to improve Employee Relations helped me prepare for my career.

The DNA components that pass through the generations are unique to individuals, but some are easily recognized.  

Musical talent was evident from my mom’s family. Her mom was an opera singer in 1900. My uncles Leo and Winford had a jazz band in the 1920s. My Uncle Billy was a genius on the piano. My mom and dad both came from families with a sense of humor. Home movies from the 1930s and Pictures from 1910 gave me visual access to my family’s past.

Intergenerational Wealth appeared in my dad’s family. We called Grandpa Leahy “Daddy Warbucks”. He was an investor. Our most illustrious relative on my mom’s side of the family was Meriwether Lewis, my great grandma’s cousin.

We can see our generational DNA in our kids, grandkids and great grandkids. Some are natural athletes and some have musical talent. Traits and talents are distributed randomly over the generations.

Norb Leahy, Dunwoody GA Tea Party Leader 

 

No comments: