Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Intelligence and Talent Abilities


Intelligence

Intelligence is the ability to acquire and apply knowledge and skills. It is associated with mental capacity or judgment, reasoning, understanding and comprehension. Intelligence can be both genetic and acquired. It is related to curiosity.


Intelligence is also associated with the ability to act in your best interest. It is more than academic talent. It does not guarantee success.

It exists in the normal curve with many in the middle and few on either end. Intelligence is often measured with IQ Tests and those who score high on other Standardized Tests.

Those at the top end are usually free to choose their work and are capable of breakthroughs in their fields.  The most productive of these geniuses includes Albert Einstein and Leonardo da Vinci, both were rebels. They both had ample amounts of judgment, intuition, stamina and talent.

Those in the upper middle include a wider variety of backgrounds. For these, learning is easy and enjoyable and work is often regarded as play. Many have average educations and pursued their own interests. They also have sufficient amounts of judgment, intuition, stamina and talent.

Those in the middle can grow if they work at it. Remember, intelligence is merely the ability to acquire and apply knowledge and skill. It doesn’t necessarily require high levels of academic talent.

Those below the middle need to focus on developing a skill that will sustain them if they can.

Intelligence is often judged based on your results.

Talent

Talent is a natural aptitude or skill. It is related to expertise, aptitude and technique. It comes in categories like athletics, art, music, academics and valued traits like leadership and business or professional acumen.  It is also associated with other gifts like stamina, intelligence and auditory or visual acuity. It conforms to the normal curve by trait.

Talent can be identified.  If it’s easy for you to do and you are good at it and love it, it’s probably a talent. 

I had musical talent growing up. I could sing and play multiple musical instruments.  I had perfect pitch and good intonation. I taught myself how to play the piano, bugle and guitar. I got a music scholarship to high school playing the trumpet.  I started a rock band when I was age 14 to sing and play guitar. I played bass in a blues group at a nightclub through college. I ended up in a Jazz Trio with a 5 part vocal group. I had a 17 year career as a musician from age 14 to age 31. It was too much fun.

I had academic talent. I was home schooled and entered 3rd grade when I was age 7. I scored 2 years ahead of my age group on standardized tests like the Iowa Test. School wasn’t hard for me, so I just enjoyed it. I didn’t cram for tests, because I wanted to develop my ling-term memory. I continued to learn what was taught. My objective was to become a self-learner and I did this in college. I also used my judgment in college to determine what theories I believed were valid and what I thought were bogus. I didn’t fill my class assignments with conclusions the instructor might have wanted. I based my papers on what struck me as being true. I was a rebel.

I had leadership talent. I used it in business and it came naturally. I had talent for writing and speaking.  I had little athletic talent. I could play sports, but not well enough to consider it a talent.

Talent can be improved with practice if you are motivated and love doing it.  I have a friend who was “pretty good” at playing guitar and piano. He made his living as an Executive at IBM, but he continued to improve his musical talent.  He is now an exceptional musician and retired from IBM.

Talent can also be lost.  If you don’t use it, you lose it.  I always viewed my musical talent as a means to pay my college tuition and earn extra money. I never considered doing it for a living. I was more interested in a business career.

Norb Leahy, Dunwoody GA Tea Party Leader

No comments: