· Restores the integrity of the Fifth Amendment to the Constitution.
· Shifts the burden of proof from the property owner onto the government, restoring the principle of “innocent until proven guilty."
· Raises the standard of proof in civil forfeiture proceedings from “preponderance of the evidence” (i.e. more likely than not) to “clear and convincing”
· Eliminates the forfeiture financial incentive altogether. Federal agencies would no longer be able to seize their way to higher budgets.
· Allows individuals and small business owners to request a prompt hearing to contest the seizure of their funds for alleged structuring violations.
Go to the link below and sign the petition to encourage Congress to pass this law.
Norb Leahy, Dunwoody GA Tea Party