Sunday, July 28, 2019

Occupational Choices


Your occupational choices should be based on what you do well that you love to do.  You are unique and need to listen to your “gut” to determine what your occupational options are. There are loads of tests and occupational preference surveys you can take to help you narrow down your options.

My choices are based on my beliefs. I chose to do what I was interested in, good at and enjoyed. My beliefs about the value of doing things were unique and based on my talents and interests.

I was always interested in how things work and how things are done.  I wanted to know how buildings were built. I valued practical skills I could use every day.

Growing up, I enjoyed teaching myself to play musical instruments, building castles with clay, cutting the grass, mixing and pouring concrete pads, doing maintenance, painting, doing chores and fixing my own meals. I liked self-reliance. I thought work was fun.

School wasn’t hard for me and I enjoyed learning. I valued science and math. I would have enjoyed history more if it had been accompanied by economics. My favorite subject was Physics, because it was solidly based in facts. I liked Philosophy, because it was easy to identify who made sense and who was off track. I studied human nature in Literature.

My industry choice was manufacturing. My occupational choice was Personnel. I had no interest in other industries or occupations. I was the “Physics Loving Personnel Guy” and was drawn to working with Engineers. 

I was totally “Achievement Oriented” and “Curious”. My career choices were based on my curiosity. I used these opportunities to prove my theories.

I took my first job out of college in 1965 as a United Way Campaign Director and met the heads of the corporations.

I took my first Personnel Job in 1967 at Kearney Electric as a Generalist and learned how to do everything. We had Teamsters and I helped convince them to close the plant and move operations to Atlanta GA.

In 1968, I joined Monsanto Chemical Co. HQ and specialized in Compensation, Regulatory Compliance and Union Prevention. I learned from the best Personnel staff in the country.

In 1971, I joined Washington University and set up regulatory compliance, beat the SEU organizing drive, automated administration, decertified existing unions and established a market and skill based Compensation System.

In 1975, we move to Salina Kansas to join Schwan Foods, I automated everything and quadrupled productivity. Revenue went from $150 million to $650 million.

In 1979, I joined Rickel Manufacturing in Salina, I decertified the UAW and increased product development. We sold it to Ag Chem.

In 1983, we moved to Atlanta GA to join Hayes Microcomputer (PC modems). I ran off the CWA, established policy and grew the workforce from 150 to 1000. Revenue grew from $35 million to $220 million.

In 1986, I joined Electromagnetic Sciences In Atlanta and grew the workforce from 350 to 1200, Revenue grew from $35 million to $200 million. I terminated the Defined Benefit Pension Plan and replaced it with an Age Weighted Defined Contribution Plan.

I was always responsible for regulatory compliance and benefit trusts. I was on the American Electronics Association Board from 1987 to 1995.

In 1993, I was kidnapped by 6 Atlanta Electronics companies to start a private consulting practice.  The practice grew to 46 companies. I operated it until 2017 and retired at age 74.

I started this blog in 2011. I use this blog to prove my theories. I am publishing basic facts you don’t get from the media. I think its working. 

Norb Leahy, Dunwoody GA Tea Party Leader


No comments: